[WikiEN-l] How to deal with direct requests for articles?

Oskar Sigvardsson oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 11:36:43 UTC 2006

> My phone number and email are publicly available for media contact
> purposes. This means, of course, I get emails and calls about
> *everything*.
>
> A common call is "How do I get an article about me/my book/my achievement?"
>
> Now. What's a helpful answer to this? Better than "You don't, someone
> else has to write one," because you *know* they'll just write a really
> bad one themselves and it'll all end in a tearful AFD entry and
> someone hating or fearing Wikipedia henceforth.
>
> Assume that referring them to a web page or policy page is less good
> than being able to answer on the phone right there.
>
> Ideas please?
>

> - d.

Fist off all, this should really be in our FAQ (I've just skimmed over
it, man it's big, and I couldn't find it). Someone should put that in.

To answer your question, if I were to get those calls I would calmly
explain that we have fairly high standards on what people can be
subjects of articles. Tell them that if they deserve to have an
article in wikipedia, they will. Just not written on request or by
themselves. Point out that if they do write an article on themselves,
it is very likely it will be deleted and it is not always a nice
discussion to read. You might also want to point out that you yourself
doesn't have an article, I can imagine that would convince some people
;)

But hey, it's not me who gets the calls, what do I know. That's how I
would handle it anyway.

--Oskar