[WikiEN-l] Schools, notability, inclusionism, deletionism, etc.

Mark Wagner carnildo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 19:23:03 UTC 2006

On 9/23/06, Daniel R. Tobias <dan at tobias.name> wrote:
> So, should we be just as complete for schools, albums, songs, TV
> shows, and so on?  Would that just be duplicating IMDB, etc., or
> would it be helping to make Wikipedia a one-stop resource for more in-
> depth info (including links where appropriate to other sites like
> IMDB) on everything in each of these fields?

Define "school".  Under Michigan law, I was educated in a private
school: the Vernon-Dunlap School.  I can even cite sources that prove
the existence of this school and that I went there; however, this
particular "school" existed only because that's how the state of
Michigan defined homeschooling: as a private school with a religious
or philosophical objection to teacher certification.  Should we have
an article on it?

Define "album".  Is a collection of a dozen songs by a teenage garage
band, burned to CD and given to a bunch of their friends an album?
Should we have an article on it?  What if the band and album were
mentioned in the "human interest" section of the local paper, making
it verifiable?

Define "TV show".  Is the weekly broadcast by the local high-school TV
club on the school's five-watt transmitter a TV show?

Populated areas are generally easy to define, since governments have
an interest in enumerating and tracking them.  Most other things
aren't.

--
Mark
[[User:Carnildo]]