[WikiEN-l] Encyclopedia of Earth appears to be now online...

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 19:36:22 UTC 2006

> On 24/09/06, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> RMS's famous intransigence is his most admirable characteristic and
> also his most bloody annoying. I keep finding he's right about things
> he said five or ten years ago that were considered silly at the time,
> so I'm sure his wisdom with refusing to move the GFDL an inch toward
> CC-by-sa compatibility is well thought out.

How well thought out it is largely irrelevant. It's pretty clear that
content creators are using CC. If it wasn't for wikipedia GFDL would
be rapidly heading in the direction of being a historical curiosity a
bit like the free art licence.

> But it's still bloody painful, and painful enough that this dual
> licencing effort followed by deprecation of the GFDL might actually be
> less painful..

I doubt it. Generaly getting into an even messier situation can only
cause problems.

--
geni