[WikiEN-l] Schools, notability, inclusionism, deletionism, etc.

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sun Sep 24 18:19:30 UTC 2006

Stephen Streater wrote

> I thought the biggest problem was
> that they didn't implement policy.

If you look at admins doing speedy deletion, particularly under A7, and at prod deletions, you actually see people pushing the envelope in trying to implement it.

The problem comes at the crunch point: what _is_ an assertion of notability?

I have had at least one futile-type argument over this: if I write that X is 'known' for work in area Y, is that not an assertion of notability? By the way, this is just the sort of criterion we should actually use. A reference work should contain information on 'known' things that are worth knowing, in the opinion of those who know. It is no good asking in the abstract whether proving the Fronckensteen Conjecture makes you notable, without knowing whether the FC is a long-standing issue, or something the guy next to you in lectures wondered about yesterday.

Charles