[WikiEN-l] Encyclopedia of Earth appears to be now online...

Phil Sandifer Snowspinner at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 16:21:51 UTC 2006

On Sep 24, 2006, at 12:15 PM, Fastfission wrote:

> We could even make it so that all users would be required to say that
> all of their previous content released under GFDL was similarly open
> to multilicensing.

Which not all users would, including some major contributors.

> It would only create a minor mess at first. Everything could be
> assumed released as GFDL. Tools could be developed to scan an article
> for content which could be released as CC-BY-SA (for example, if it
> was one of the license approved by WMF).

Which becomes pure hell when you get to derivative works -
particularly when you start with replacing content lost to the scan,
and get into a wealth of "Was this based off of my not-CC-licensed
paragraph on this topic or not" disputes, any and all of which could
become litigious.

> It's an idea which does the most work the sooner it is implemented,
> as well.

I agree. We should implement this sometime around 2001. 2002 at the
latest.

-Phil