[WikiEN-l] Encyclopedia of Earth appears to be now online...

Carl Peterson carlopeterson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 04:33:40 UTC 2006

On 9/22/06, Oskar Sigvardsson <oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since it is CC-BY-SA, can we... ehm... "borrow" stuff from these
> articles? It wouldn't be very nice, but are there any legal issues
> associated with it?

The thing is, legal issues aside, unless EoE allows original research (I
haven't looked to know), everything published on EoE *should*, in theory, be
based on a source, which we could use directly instead of through EoE (I say
in theory because I imagine that there would be the same sourcing issues
unless there is a tighter content control). And even if EoE did allow
original research, is that something we would want in Wikipedia -- original
research from an essentially non-peer-reviewed source? I see the same
problems in citing (and especially copying) EoE as I do in citing another
Wikipedia article as an authoritative source.

Carl