[WikiEN-l] Is Wikipedia a News Portal (among other things)?

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Thu Sep 21 20:20:25 UTC 2006

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com wrote:
> The second-order point on that is, well, WP shouldn't _anticipate_ the scientific revision, so the same should apply to history. But I think the policy on original research then enters: it can correctly be said of WP that its current affairs coverage should _not_ be doing the job of historical synthesis, ahead of the historians.

I agree with that, and I think that the fact that our articles do
sometimes wander into that territory is the source of some of the
sentiment that we shouldn't have them in the first place.  The articles
on the 2004 U.S. presidential election were the worst set of them, *just
now* finally being cleaned up of literally dozens of articles filled
with novel syntheses, Wikipedian-produced data analysis, and all manner
of other original research.  We do need to find some better way to keep
that sort of thing out.

-Mark