[WikiEN-l] Is Wikipedia a News Portal (among other things)?

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 14:48:29 UTC 2006

On 9/21/06, Peter Jacobi <peter_jacobi at gmx.net> wrote:

> "Stephen Bain" <stephen.bain at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The articles on last year's London bombings are also good examples.
> > [[2006 transatlantic aircraft plot]], within a few hours after the
> > story broke, was just about the best source available.
>
> If a Wikipedia article is "the best source available", it has
> become original research.

Note that I'm referring specifically to current events articles. While
online media outlets and the print media do occasionally offer
"in-depth" stories on current events, setting out background
information and historical context, they're rarely (if ever) as
comprehensive or as timely as Wikipedia's articles are.

Also note that I'm talking about sources that Wikipedia would be
competing against. A personal account written by a veteran journo on
the scene may well be the best thing to read about an event, but it's
not something that's comparable to Wikipedia.

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com