[WikiEN-l] Would you like one of your videos posted on Wikipedia?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Sep 21 04:22:11 UTC 2006

Stephen Streater wrote:

>On 20 Sep 2006, at 09:07, Ray Saintonge wrote:
>

>>Stephen Streater wrote:
>>

>>>If you are
>>>right, I can release my Park videos under a free licence.
>>>

>>Yes.   It's not a copyright issue.  Filming and uploading are two
>>different acts.  Whenever a statute proclaims an act to be somehow
>>worthy of punishment it needs to be read perfectly literally sometimes
>>even when the logical consequences of such a reading  are ridiculous.
>>One should never impute to parliament anything more than what is
>>actually said.
>>

>It looks like a loophole to me, but maybe it is
>a deliberate one. Perhaps it is the disruption
>of a professional shoot they are trying to avoid,
>rather than use of the footage itself.

Loopholes are a normal part of the legal game, but I don't think that
that is the case here.  Professional shoots do bring in a lot more
equipent and staff than one tourist and his family can ever imsagine.
Disruption could be even more significant at Trafalgar Square.  Smetimes
it helps to look at the reasoning behind a law, and in this case it
copyright is not a factor.  Pictures of Trafalgar Square probably
already exist from every conceivable angle.

Ec