[WikiEN-l] No derivatives (was: Would you like one of your videos posted on Wikipedia?)

dmehkeri at swi.com dmehkeri at swi.com
Wed Sep 20 14:20:48 UTC 2006

> It is not a free license in any respect. It is really just a notice
> which says, "feel free to print out some more copies of these and
> distribute them if you want without charge." That's not within the
> definition of free content at all ? it's the wrong type of "free."

If you are referring to the difference between "freedom" and "no charge", yes, I
do in fact understand this. In French we even use two different words. But, it
seems to me that on the French wikipedia the assumption is not made that "free"
(as in freedom) will mean what you seem to think it means (and I'm not sure what
that is, but it obviously excludes CC-BY-ND). In fact even the "free" in "free
encyclopedia" is elaborated. More to the point, the rejection of ND (and NC)
media couldn't be more clearly spelt out there. Not to suggest we must be as
restrictive on English WP as we are on French WP, of course.

Regards,
Daniel