[WikiEN-l] Is Wikipedia a News Portal (among other things)?

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 00:21:18 UTC 2006

On 9/20/06, David Alexander Russell <webmaster at davidarussell.co.uk> wrote:

> Peter Jacobi wrote:
> > "Andrew Lih" <andrew.lih at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> It's been this way for a while
> >>
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11_March_2004_Madrid_train_bombings
> >>
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Indian_Ocean_earthquake
> >>
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_July_2005_London_bombings
> >
> > Yep, but this was before "forking" WikiNews or at the very
> > beginning of that project. Shouldn't we draw a line now and
> > leave the news to WikiNews, only remerging into Wikipedia once
> > importance is clearer and deeper analysis is available from
> > secondardy sources?
> >
> > [[User:Pjacobi]]
> >

> Just because something happened recently doesn't mean it *shouldn't* be
> included in Wikipedia. Granted, Wikipedia will generally have less
> information on a current event than Wikinews (given WP's greater
> emphasis on verifiability) but that doesn't mean that no article is
> better than a short article.

Typically a Wikipedia article has much *more* information than a
Wikinews article, since the editing "workforce" on Wikipedia is
larger, and there is no "deadline" in Wikipedia and is constantly
morphing. Verifiability doesn't mean the WP article will be shorter
either. If you provide an external link to a new source, then - boom,
it's verified. And it can be included in the article.

> Besides which, these sorts of articles are
> generally plastered with WN links to provide the more up-to-date, less
> verifiable information.

Yes, there will be often be a WN article linked to from the relevant
WP article. But the WP article will also have tons of links to
external news sources, which are tough for Wikinews to keep up with.

FYI, German Wikipedia is more in line with the idea that "not every
news event deserves an article." They are much more selective and are
not shy in telling you so. :)

-Andrew (User:Fuzheado)