[WikiEN-l] Would you like one of your videos posted on Wikipedia?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 14:52:57 UTC 2006

On 9/19/06, Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
>Wikipedia is sunk if it must use the
> *intersection* of all copyright laws in the world, under which nearly
> nothing is permissible to distribute.

Cite up or shut up.

Your claim that the intersection of permitted works is the empty set
is ridiculous and disruptive. If you're going to make claims like
that, please substantiate them.

Although your statement is a ridiculous overstatement, it's not that
relevant any case: The long term practice of Wikipedia is to follow
the laws that we must follow and adopt additional practices that
further our goal of creating a encyclopedia which is free for all
forms of use, redistribution, and modification anywhere, for any
reason, and in any medium for all time.

There is no movement to limit wikipedia to least common denominator of
all jurisdictions.

However, we do choose to respect the copyrights of Iran... which have
copyright terms quite similar to the rest of the industrialized world,
but which lack enforcement in the US because Iran is not currently a
party to the Berne Convention.  This is a sound policy: Not only does
it preserve the legality of our work in Iran (which is part of
anywhere), but it preserves the legality of our work in the US and
Europe when a some point in the future Iran's copyrights become more
generally enforceable.