[WikiEN-l] Citizendium

Kim van der Linde kim at kimvdlinde.com
Tue Sep 19 12:04:48 UTC 2006

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com wrote:
> Yes, why should another site not get the grunt work done? I guess
> because they start with a 'more chiefs than Indians' model of
> intellectual work?

Is it not amazing how often I get to articles that I improve at
Wikipedia, just to discover how may redirects are missing, and me, as an
expert adding them. Just because I know which to add?

But I think you miss a more important aspect. Suppose I am doing a Ph.D.
study, and want to become a expert in a field. What is nicer than to
work with some experts in that field to create good quality articles. To
many people seem under the impression that Citizendium is written solely
by experts, my impression is that the bulk of the work is still done by
many authors together, with a major difference that only a 'finalised'
version is approved and visible for the larger public. Just imagine that
a group of people works together adding a new page that do not have to
fight with POV-pushers of fringe or bullshit ideas (expert guidance) and
vandals (not approved, no reward for vandalism), while at the same time
can benefit from the expertise of those same experts to get towards a
much better article as those experts do know the literature much better,
  know which [[WP:V]] [[WP:RS]] to use (no blanket criteria needed
anymore). Furthermore, an added incentive would be that quality
contributors are being recognized by those experts, which results in
better working relationships, but also more praise and feedback....

> Just who gets excited enough to add all those variants of [[John of
> Jandun]], for a random example, on a site based on a star system (as
> if that was a panacea)?

Who gets excited at that at Wikipedia? We have our gnomes doing those
things, why can Citizendium not have them as well? There is no objection
to grant recognized valuable contributors some extra privileges just to
do that kind of jobs.... Let alone, that if I as an expert would know
some of the regulars and would know the quality of their work, I would
unseen approve series of redirects made by those people.

Kim
--
http://www.kimvdlinde.com