[WikiEN-l] Wikimedia Board Elections

Nathaniel Krause nathanielkrause at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 19 05:17:26 UTC 2006

On 9/18/06, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:  >  > For each person like you who used the approval process correctly there  > will probably be four who tried to game it by only picking their first  > choice.

I'm not too comfortable with the implication that there is a wrong and right way to use approval voting in this election. It strikes me as a bug rather than a feature that Board elections currently don't allow the voter to express any preference at all among the candidates that she or he finds acceptable.

I'd really like to see WMF switch to a form of Condorcet voting, such as the Schultze method, for the next elections. This would allow the voter the flexibility to rank candidates in order of preference, or to rank several equally if they prefer.

-Nat Krause