[WikiEN-l] I've Kicked the Process Habit

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 18 16:11:56 UTC 2006

"David Gerard" wrote

> And almost all of our processes are quick hacks someone thought would
> be a good idea at the time, and they're usually modified by putting
> hacks on hacks on hacks, building into a rococo fractal mosaic of
> prescriptions.

Which is a pretty good description of how evolution works, on a conventional model. _Especially_ the bit that the thing designed for one issue gets commandeered and adapted for another.

I think we can take comfort from the way the conventional model of evolution also has this to say: it's smarter than you. (No, I don't mean David G, I mean this is a more effective problem solving attack than a priori plans.)

Charles