[WikiEN-l] Citizendium

stvrtg stvrtg at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 07:11:47 UTC 2006

On 9/17/06, Oskar Sigvardsson

> That is why I think we should look at this as an opportunity, since
> Sanger is going to use an open license (I'm assuming, since he is
> going to import from wikipedia, the GFDL forces him to) this could be
> a great source for wikipedia articles. The experts are left in peace
> to develop their articles, and the wikipedians will fight the battles
> over our content.

Or instead, we could try to keep up with growth by implementing some more
advanced soft controls of our own. The idea of depending on others to
develop better content and then hoping they provide their content in an
exportable format is... not a good one.

Their process almost reads like a copy of some of own ideas over the years,
some of which Ive abandoned simply because 1) we know in fact that most of
Wikipedia is not written by the "core" (thanks Aaronsw ), and 2) If it aint
broke dont fix it. And nobody really knows how Wikipedia really works anyway
except to say that the more structure the less attracted energy, and the
more freedom the more trust and participation. Thats not to say there arent
specific little things that arent broken and other things which could be
improved.

Of course, like any upstart like Citizendium is just trying to find some
kind of "expert-editor" niche which Wikipedia doesnt cover. It doesnt matter
what project it is, its always a good idea to look for holes in the coverage
spectrum. Who knows? People might like them more just because they use a
more easy on the eyes color scheme as a default option.

-sv