[WikiEN-l] Citizendium

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sun Sep 17 22:28:47 UTC 2006

Jimmy Wales wrote:
> Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:
>
>> Assuming that good content (if any) in sangers project will be added
>> to wikipedia, why would potential editors prefer to edit these
>> articles that are copied back to wikipedia too on sangers project,
>> rather than on wikipedia? There has to be some added value to editing
>> on sangers project, rather than on wikipedia, for his project to
>> flourish. What is it? I genuinely want to know.
>>

> If I had to guess, one response would be: the opportunity for a genuine
> expert to work hand in hand with other genuine experts, without the
> social difficulty of having to interact with the general public, some of
> whom are quite noticeably stupid and annoying.

That's what I initially thought, but as Sangers clarified his ideas in
his responses to Slashdot comments, it appears that he *does* plan to
have most users and article writers be non-experts.  He proposes that
experts should have an "editorship" type role, to "gently guide" the
work of non-experts.  It's unclear what exactly this will involve, but
it doesn't seem like it will be the place for experts who want to avoid
interacting with the general public---the only advantage is that in
those interactions they may be given some official levers to use (but
still be expected to use them "gently").

-Mark