[WikiEN-l] [[WP:V]] and [[WP:RS]] are destroying Wikipedia

Phil Sandifer Snowspinner at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 06:00:08 UTC 2006

Pardon my subject - it is only slightly exaggerated.

Obviously [[WP:V]] and (to a lesser extent) [[WP:RS]] are absolutely
vital policies that cannot be discarded. On the other hand, in their
current form they are abominations that fundamentally undermine key
aspects of Wikipedia's mission.

The problems with the pages are threefold.

1) They actively encourage removal of material that is accurate.
2) Their definitions of acceptable material were written with an eye
towards only a handful of Wikipedia's articles, and render large
portions of the site functionally un-editable.
3) They increase the burden of responsibility far beyond that which
can reasonably be asked of the casual editor who does most of the
heavy lifting for Wikipedia.

In order.

1) They actively encourage removal of material that is accurate

Admittedly, our standard for inclusion is "verifiability, not truth."
We ought not, however, fall into the trap of deciding that we are
therefore against truth. Our goal is to offer the sum total of human
knowledge. If information is true and significant, we ought be trying
to find a way to get it in.

Both policies direly need a basic common sense check - don't
challenge material you don't actually doubt the accuracy of. Editors
should read skeptically and critically, but they should not go
removing things for the sake of removing them. There should, of
course, remain the exception for BLP. We should be clear that this
exception is for legal reasons, and out of a desire to be respectful
citizens of the world we're offering Wikipedia to.

But to allow and endorse this sort of hatchet work as a general case
is far too much of a gift to the clueless. We need to codify that our
sourcing policies exist to improve Wikipedia - not to give the most
obsessive of us a job gutting Wikipedia.

2) Their definitions of acceptable material were written with an eye
towards only a handful of Wikipedia's articles, and render large
portions of the site functionally un-editable.

The majority of our policies in this area, and [[WP:RS]] is by far
the worse offender here, were clearly written to provide us needed
protection against nutjobs on our more pathological articles. They're
excellent policies for keeping the Israel/Palestine articles sane,
keeping the LaRouchies and Scientologists at bay, and telling Gene
Ray that he should take nature's four-sided harmonious time cube
elsewhere.

Unfortunately, that's a fraction of our articles. Most of our
articles do not need that kind of protection, and that kind of
protection is gravely dangerous to them. My favorite example is
[[Spoo]] - a featured article that we ran on the frontpage on 4/1/06.
Spoo is a fictional food source from the television show Babylon 5.
The thing about B5 is that there's a huge amount of information
availbale. J. Michael Straczynski, the creator of B5, has made a
great deal of stuff public about the show. The only problem is that
he did it on Usenet. Now, there is nobody in the world that doubts
that those Usenet postings were made by JMS. It's dead-on fact. But
[[WP:RS]] rules out such posts in all cases. Which means, by a rigid
definition of [[WP:RS]], we have to go scrag [[Spoo]].

This is not the only case of this. I remember a nasty fight over
[[Able and Baker]] regarding whether the website for Dayfree Press, a
webcomics syndicate, was a reliable source on Dayfree Press. Or, and
this is possibly the most ludicrous thing I've ever seen argued on
Wikipedia, the assertion that it is not verifiable that a post was
made to a talk page on Wikipedia. Not even raising the question of
the identity of the poster (Which would have been a sensible debate
to have) - someone was asserting that the existence of the post
itself was not verifiable.

The problem here is that the reliability of sources is a tremendously
subtle issue. When dealing with Babylon 5, Usenet posts are
tremendously reliable. When dealing with Scientology, a personal
website is one of the most important sources in existence. J. Michael
Stracyznski's news posts are reliable. Other people's aren't. It's
not a clear-cut matter, and we can't write policy that's meant to be
applied like a sledgehammer to cover it. The fact that blog posts
suck as sources on topic A does not mean they suck on topic B.

Every other policy we have on Wikipedia explicitly gives editors a
wide berth to interpret it on a case-by-case basis. This is, for
instance, the whole reason [[WP:NPOV]] works. But increasingly,
[[WP:V]] and [[WP:RS]] are written to be applied by machine. We need
to return to trusting that editors will be able to work out what a
reliable source is on a topic by topic basis, given a set of general
guidelines on the matter. I have in the past recommended basing these
guidelines on _The Craft of Research_, a book published by UChicago
Press. This has long been one of the standard academic research
manuals. It's flexible, sensible, and respected - exactly what we
want and need.

3) They increase the burden of responsibility far beyond that which
can reasonably be asked of the casual editor who does most of the
heavy lifting for Wikipedia.

Wikipedia is supposed to be editable by anyone, and we have
repeatedly stressed the importance of keeping it open. Unfortunately,
with our zeal for sourcing everything and placing ridiculously high
demands on our sources, we are increasingly threatening that ideal.
It is not, under the rules as written, possible to edit Wikipedia
without access to a substantial reference library. Someone who
stumbles upon an article and sees an omission is no longer encouraged
to just add it  - they're encouraged to go make a research trip to
add it.

This is, of course, not how it actually works. 99% of our content has
been and will always be people working from personal knowledge. It
was how Wikipedia was built, and it's how it will always remain, no
matter how we rewrite the rules. We need to remember that as editors,
though. The goal should not be to scrap 99% of the contributions. It
should be to remove things that are too troublesome to include
without reliable sources (As defined on a case by case basis), and to
try to find reliable sources for everything else.

In essence, we have written a set of policies that fail to reflect
how we do work, should work, or could possibly work. And, due to the
frighteningly large number of contributors who, given a piece of bad
policy, will follow it rigidly without thinking about it, this is a
solidly dangerous thing. (Something to remember: IAR is our most
ignored rule.)

What can we do to repair these policies to better reflect and engage
reality? Obviously, as I said, we cannot abandon the policies -
[[WP:V]] is essential, and [[WP:RS]] has the potential to be a vital
guideline. But the current approach clearly does not work. So we need
to rethink it.

-Phil