[WikiEN-l] Wikimedia Board Elections

Elisabeth Bauer elian at djini.de
Sat Sep 16 19:02:58 UTC 2006

David Mestel wrote:
> If I may add my personal opinion, I do not think that it was
> appropriate for Jimmy to declare public support for any candidate.
> Here's why: In some sense, Jimmy's role is to be an impartial
> adjudicator, facilitating to a great extent the views of the
> community, although obviously also keeping the greater good of
> Wikipedia in mind.  In some ways, indeed, one might draw an analogy
> between this and a hypothetical situation where the monarch encouraged
> the electorate to vote one way or the other.  Just my $0.02.

I think it is a crucial information with whom of the candidates the
current board members see themselves able to work with. The impression I
got when I was involved in foundation work was that several board
members don't get along very well with some of the candidates. Everyone
should be able to imagine the consequences.

greetings,
elian