[WikiEN-l] I've Kicked the Process Habit

Phil Sandifer Snowspinner at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 00:32:08 UTC 2006

[[Wikipedia:Policy trifecta]] makes it sound so easy...

So I figured why not try it? After all, I've been here for two and a
half years. I've got a pretty good idea of what we're doing here. Why
not just stop worrying about what all the policy pages say today, and
about what the process to list something on AfD is?

So I'm not anymore. I understand [[WP:NPOV]], [[WP:DICK]], and I
especially understand [[WP:IAR]]. I understand what an encyclopedia
is. I understand how to do good research. (I'm a professional
academic - I teach people how to do good research. I know this stuff.)

So as of today, I'm just going to go ahead and edit. Lord knows the
rules are making me nervous and depressed. So I'll follow all the
stuff I can remember, and not try too hard to learn the other stuff.
If I can't remember how to list something for AfD today, I'll just
use PROD. If I can't get it deleted via PROD, I just won't delete it.
Someone who remembers how to use AfD can do it. If I can't remember
how many warnings a vandal gets, I'll just zap 'em for 24 hours two
warnings early, and call it a day. If I can't remember the status of
blogs and personal websites as they apply to a specific topic, well,
I'm a professional researcher. I teach people how to research. I'll
trust my judgment.

Note that this means that if you cite a policy page to me and expect
me to carefully divine the meaning of section 14, paragraph 3, clause
2 of it, odds are I'll just say "Yeah, but what's ''wrong'' with what
I'm doing?" "It violates policy" isn't enough. If it's against
policy, it must be bad for some reason, so just explain to me what it
does that's bad.

Otherwise... well, you might drive me off the page, but you sure
ain't gonna convince me.

In the meantime, I'll be keeping [[User:Phil Sandifer/Process blog]]
updated with anything I run into that's just impossible to handle
without checking lots of policy pages. I'm doing this not so much
because I'm trying to find the essential policies as because I'm
trying to find the broken ones. I figure anything so complex an admin
who's been editing for two and a half years can't do it is
fundamentally broken.

Not that I'll be the one to fix it. I've got an encyclopedia to write.

-Phil