[WikiEN-l] Contest and quality

Carl Peterson carlopeterson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 23:42:06 UTC 2006

While we not be able to necessarily make a comparison on the basis of
content inclusion, there is still something to be said for establishing a
reputation for quality on the order of Britannica. I think that was more
what was intended than a comment on what articles are included.
Theoretically, every article on Wikipedia should be able to be brought to
the level of featured article. That goal (and the goal of even 100,000 FAs)
may mean that articles which could not be brought to FA level on their own
need to be merged (e.g., a single, comprehensive article on multiple schools
instead of a stub for each individual article), but there should be a way to
bring all content on Wikipedia to the point where there is no need for the
Featured Article designation because every article is at the quality level
of a featured article. In many ways, that is my dream: for the Featured
Article process to be placed on the chopping block because Featured Articles
make up such a large proportion of the articles on Wikipedia that there is
no longer anything special. Or perhaps for the FA criteria to require so
much refinement that all but 1% of our FAs get bumped from that level.

And yes, I dream big.

Carl