[WikiEN-l] Example of a user who should have been banned a long time ago

Daniel Cannon cannon.danielc at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 17:59:34 UTC 2006

On 9/8/06, Akash Mehta <draicone at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do we have a way where we can scan talk pages for such warnings and
> come up with a record of those with 20+? I know AmiDaniel's
> vandalproof can look for warnings, and I'm sure there could be a
> similar function implemented. Unfortunately, VP is closed source and
> AmiDaniel is particularly busy with VP2, so unless he's willing to
> release that portion of his source (I can hard code it into an MWT
> port to check for warnings) we don't have a suitable system available.
>
> On 9/8/06, Jossi Fresco <jossifresco at mac.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sep 7, 2006, at 7:58 PM, Jimmy Wales wrote:
> >
> > > Why was this user not banned months ago?
> > It is blocked for 1 month now, and copyvio images being deleted.
> >
> > -- Jossi

come up and thought I might as well respond. Anyway, VP just uses a rather
simple system of string matches to data pulled from Yurik's
query.phpinterface. I'll gladly release the source code if anyone
would like it (VP's
not closed source, just not *publicly* open source for some rather
complicated reasons I'd rather not get in to); however, I'm not sure what
good it will be. At the best a bot could probably scan 50-100 talk pages a
minute for common templated messages, and with over a million talk pages to
scan, it would take some time. I'll be glad to develop something that may
work, but it certainly would not be a perfect process. Btw, as an aside, I'm
not really particularly busy with VP2 at the moment, but rather with school
and work and have had pretty much no time for Wikipedia as of late, which I
hope will change sometime in the near future.

--
AmiDaniel