[WikiEN-l] Name pages and disambiguation

Sean Black smblac at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 23:58:11 UTC 2006

On 9/10/06, A <jokestress at gmail.com> wrote:
> About a week ago, [[User:JHunterJ]] revised [[Wikipedia:Manual of
> Style (disambiguation pages)]] and then began making sitewide changes
> to articles on human names based on his revisions:
>
> "People who happen to have the same given name should not be listed on
> a disambiguation page for that name unless they happen to be very
> frequently referred to simply by the given name (e.g., Beyoncé,
> Regis). If the name is uncommon enough for such a list to be
> maintainable (and if it would otherwise meet the WP:LIST guidelines),
> consider creating the page [[List of people named Title]] instead."

This is really just a part of the continued onslaught against useful
dab pages in the name of adherence to the manual of style... the
stricter we make these pages, the more likely we are to be encouraging
the blind elimination of good content.

See here for prime examples of this idiocy in action:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=AFD&action=history
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Disambiguation_pages_in_need_of_cleanup

~~Sean