[WikiEN-l] Contest and quality

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Tue Sep 12 12:22:28 UTC 2006

On 9/12/06, daniwo59 at aol.com <daniwo59 at aol.com> wrote:
> 1. The field "Requests" on "Recent Changes" be changed to "Requested  feature
> articles." Instead of asking people to create brand new article, the  focus
> should be on improving existing articles.

Why?  Is there any reason to believe that improving a crappy article
into a featured article is better than creating a featured article
from scratch?  Maybe most crappy articles are still crappy because
they're not a very useful topic in the first place.

There's nothing wrong with creating brand new articles, as long as
you're creating *good* brand new articles.  To that end I think we
should insist that all new articles are sourced.  After a while that
should be extended - all major additions to old articles must be
sourced.  Only then, once we've stopped the addition of new unsourced
additions, can we truly start to tackle the old unsourced information.

Anthony