[WikiEN-l] Can anything be done about Deletion Review?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 14:17:30 UTC 2006

On 11/09/06, Zoney <zoney.ie at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm aware that my discussion gives little credit to those who participate in
> AFD, and do carefully look at the background in various subjects, who do
> consider what the encyclopaedia should include for readers, and are suitably
> unbiased to give a proper opinion.

PROD takes a bit of the load off AFD, though I don't know numbers.
(Anyone?) And undeleting after a PROD is a matter of asking an admin
for the undelete (and then fixing whatever got it PRODded in the first
place, or it may end up on AFD proper). So AFD can consider the
contentious stuff in a bit more depth.

> However, there is no mechanism to rely more on opinions of worth than
> worthless opinions. This problem of course applies to Wikipedia across the
> board.

Sure there is - the closing admin is supposed to apply sense. Nineteen
"* never heard of it, delete" followed by one "Keep, I'm an expert and
I've added full references confirming its verifiability and
notability" is supposed to result in a keep, 'cos it's not a vote. The
admins are relatively sensible most of the time I've looked of late.

- d.