[WikiEN-l] Name pages and disambiguation

A jokestress at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 20:38:56 UTC 2006

About a week ago, [[User:JHunterJ]] revised [[Wikipedia:Manual of
Style (disambiguation pages)]] and then began making sitewide changes
to articles on human names based on his revisions:

"People who happen to have the same given name should not be listed on
a disambiguation page for that name unless they happen to be very
frequently referred to simply by the given name (e.g., Beyoncé,
Regis). If the name is uncommon enough for such a list to be
maintainable (and if it would otherwise meet the WP:LIST guidelines),
consider creating the page [[List of people named Title]] instead."

I have found that a few name pages I monitor with lists of people by
name are magnets for occasional vanity additions, and more common
names will have very long lists. However, such lists seem useful and
interesting for causal readers, so I'm wondering what people think
about balancing utility (especially for causal readers) and page size?
Right now the lists are being removed entirely instead of being moved
to [[List of people named___]]. This has led to protests by some
editors, and he's only part way into the A names (actually, I just
checked and he's now into B names).

My concern is that a lot of information is being removed when he
implements these changes. Sometimes he's adding {{Lookfrom}},
sometimes not, but many of the articles with lists had explanatory
information, not just a list. At the very least, I'd like to see that
information moved to another page rather than deleted outright. I have
asked him to hold off until a few more people had a chance to weigh
in, but he has decided to continue.

Thoughts?