[WikiEN-l] Question about "External links"

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 13:14:53 UTC 2006

> On 9/8/06, Gregory Kohs <thekohser at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am curious if there is any factual data about how many clicks per day, on
> > average, that a run-of-the-mill outbound link receives in the "External
> > links" section of a typical Wikipedia article?  My guess is that it's
> > somewhere around 3 or 4, but that's just me looking at it as a [[Fermi
> > problem]].
> >

> Depends on the article they are on but I've seen over 100 claimed on SEO forums.

[checks local logs]

I have a copy of my thesis linked from two pages (it's stunningly
boring, but it's a source for a lot of one and a footnoted cite in
another), and a third locally-hosted page is linked as a source in a
particuarly obscure article.

Between them, they're getting anywhere from one visit per day to two a
week, on average. I can't comment on "external links" sites generally.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk