[WikiEN-l] Grandmother copyrighted anonymous works

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Sat Sep 9 13:16:42 UTC 2006

On 9/8/06, Mark Wagner <carnildo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/8/06, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> > On 9/7/06, Ben McIlwain <cydeweys at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > It sounds like OrphanBot may need a slight tweak to keep
> > > track of how many unsources images a user is uploading, and then start
> > > raising red flags if it exceeds a certain number.
> >
> > I just wish the bot would stop telling me that the images Ive uploaded
> > that dont have a known source (and were released under Sharealike 1.0
> > which doesnt require a source) are candidates for deletion.
>
> The Creative Commons Sharealike license might not require attribution
> of the author, but Wikipedia requires that the source of the images be
> provided so that we can verify the license.

How do you verify the license?  If I put my grandmother's name as
author are you going to look up her phone number and call her or
something?  Part of the whole point is that the people who made these
images don't want to be bothered by this crap.

> I can add you to
> OrphanBot's do-not-notify list, but that will just mean that the
> images are deleted without you ever knowing about it.

Not now.  I'll have to think about this further.

Part of me thinks the best solution is to just create a sockpuppet for
each person and upload the images under that, claiming authorship on
them.  Another part of me thinks I should make some trivial, yet
copyrightable, modification to the work, claim authorship of the
derivative, and upload them with myself as author.  Yet another part
of me thinks I should just turn off the notification and let y'all
delete the damn images, because it's not worth bothering with.

So far I've just been removing the tags, mentioning that the source is
anonymous, and I think most of the images have survived.

Anthony