[WikiEN-l] CC-SA

dmehkeri at swi.com dmehkeri at swi.com
Fri Sep 8 17:38:56 UTC 2006

> > If nothing else, we'd want some sort of attempt to establish that it really
> > was released into the public domain (or under CC-SA).
> >
> A name isn't going to do very much to establish that.  I could always
> make up a fake name and say that's the author.  Or I could just lie
> and claim that I'm the author.  Either way, you'd just have to take my
> word for it.

Some sort of attempt, not a foolproof attempt.

> But I'd rather not lie.

Exactly. I'd be happy to accept the claims of the uploader unless and until
there is reason to believe otherwise.

> So I suppose anonymous works which aren't PD-OLD are prohibited?

A really good question, Anthony. I don't know. On the other hand, an anonymous
work doesn't appear out of nowhere, either, does it. (Unless you yourself
created it and want to submit it anonymously, in which case why not just make a
throwaway account and use PD-SELF or something?)

Dan