[WikiEN-l] Cluesticks needed regarding WP:BLP and WP:RS

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Wed Sep 6 15:43:15 UTC 2006

Jossi Fresco wrote:
> On Sep 5, 2006, at 1:35 PM, Rob wrote:
>> * A man who posted nude pictures of himself on websites whose domains
>> he registered advertising himself as a $200-an-hour gay prostitute can
>> not be identified as a prostitute.
> Was this reported in a reliable source (this person being called a
> prostitute?). If not, this is OR.

Based on this description of the situation, he's calling _himself_ a
prostitute and we're citing a primary source for that. Doesn't look like
OR to me.

>> * The Columbia Journalism Review is a reliable source.  A blog run by
>> the Columbia Journalism Review on the website of the Columbia
>> Journalism Review is not.
> Only if the Columbia Journalism Review has editorial control of the
> blog. Otherwise, I would agree that it is not a RS.

Depends on what it's being used as a source for. A person's blog can
almost always be used as a reliable source for what a person has said on
their blog.