[WikiEN-l] My irrelevant hatnote disambiguation policy

Oskar Sigvardsson oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 21:41:37 UTC 2006

On 9/5/06, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/09/06, Richard Holton <richholton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 9/5/06, Oskar Sigvardsson <oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > I do think that many times such notes can be wildly out of place. A
> > > perfect example somebody mentioned eariler is this thread is
> > >
> > > http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Beirut&diff=21961432&oldid=21810147
> > >
> > > Clearly an inappropriate "hatnote"
> > >
> > > But, again. make a disambig-page and you're fine. No need for anything
> > > else.
>
> > That example didn't require a disambiguation note. Who would mistakenly go
> > to Beirut when looking for "Beer Pong"? Assuming good faith, whoever placed
> > this "hatnote" has a serious misunderstanding of the concept.
>
> Presumably, someone who knows the game is called "Beirut" but has
> never heard of "Beer Pong". Drinking games tend not to have very
> well-standardised nomenclature.
>
> --
> - Andrew Gray
>   andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk

BTW, I just looked at that article ([[Beer Pong]], that is), and it's
a freakshow! It's got diagrams and everything, and it is rivaling many
featured articles in length. Either someone has waaaaaaaaaay to much
time on their hands, or something very fishy is going on. I'm tempted
to put a comment in the wikitext that says "Attention! Many other
articles need help! Don't waste time here!" or something ;)

--Oskar