[WikiEN-l] Fwd: [Wikitech-l] BC vs BCE era names

Guettarda guettarda at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 12:41:23 UTC 2006

On 9/5/06, Akash Mehta <draicone at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, but at the same time we must respect that everyone has varied
> religious beliefs, and I wouldn't be surprised if around about half of
> users supported BC, while the other half did not.

While this is true, the division was not solely along religious lines - many
people who identified themselves Christian, myself included, feel in the
half that supported BCE/CE on the basis of NPOV.  The problem with accepting
a POV in dating systems is that we would have to support ALL dating
systems.  Only supporting BC/AD and BCE/CE is to codify systemic bias.
However, adding other dating systems isn't easy, because lunar calendars
(for example) don't match precisely with solar ones.  So if we allowed a
user to pick a preferences of say, the Islamic calendar or the old Russian
calendar, many year-only dates would become ambiguous.

However, you have a
> point, NPOV means BCE.

BC means "Before Christ", and that (obviously) refers to Jesus of Nazareth.
So if you say "before Christ" in reference to him, you are asserting that
Jesus is the Messiah (Christ is the Greek version of the word).  Similarly,
if you say "in the Lord's year" and the reference is unequivocally to Jesus,
then you are asserting that Jesus is Lord (which, in this context, has come
to mean God)

Then again, must we assert that Jesus is the
> Messiah/God? We must merely assert that he is christ and that the
> calendar is based around his birth (which it certainly appears to be,
> if he existed when he supposedly did).

As above, Christ means Messiah, so you can't separate the two.  On the other
hand, BCE (before the common era) and CE (common era) meet the requirement
of NPOV by describing the current state of affairs in which the dating
system is based around the birth of Jesus, without actually asserting that
he is the Messiah or God.