[WikiEN-l] My irrelevant hatnote disambiguation policy

Oskar Sigvardsson oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 23:27:06 UTC 2006

On 9/5/06, Sam Korn <smoddy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/2/06, Sean Black <hulksmashly at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Now ask which is the clearer disambiguation system: the current one or
> > > your proposed one.  I am quite willing to concede that the current
> > > system can be downright peculiar and mock serious subjects, but I very
> > > much doubt this is the solution.
> >
> > How does "you may have been looking for [[this]]" "mock" anything?
>
> Perhaps "mock" is the wrong word.  I agree with Steve that seeing a
> reference to some obscure band's second album or some equally obscure
> video game character on almost every science or history article is
> highly annoying and detracts from the seriousness of the subject.

I agree with this too, but there is a very easy fix for this: a
disambiguation page. They work brilliantly, and the "hatnote" for them
doesn't detract from it's subject at all, no matter how serious it is.
No need to reform the disambiguation policy all willy-nilly to
something that is less clear. It's a fine policy, it's worked great
for a long time, and there are no real flaws with it. So what is the
problem?

--Oskar