[WikiEN-l] Fwd: Dealing with a famous photographer

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 18:47:51 UTC 2006

On 9/2/06, Fastfission <fastfission at gmail.com> wrote:
> Practical but not-in-the-spirit-of-it answer: Tell him not to license
> it as GFDL but to just say that Wikipedia can use it. Then we use it
> as fair use and claim to disregard the Wikipedia-only license, knowing
> full well that he won't actually sue us for infringement since he
> already said we can use it.
[snip]

Nice attempt to overrule Jimbos edict against 'with permissions' images.

Either we (and other folks like us) can use it as fair use and we
don't need his permission or it's not and we should not accept the
image in our article permission or not.

Please don't encourage a regression to a point where we permit images
that others couldn't claim fair use for simply because people will
give us permission to display them on their website.