[WikiEN-l] Fwd: Dealing with a famous photographer

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 17:44:45 UTC 2006

Practical but not-in-the-spirit-of-it answer: Tell him not to license
it as GFDL but to just say that Wikipedia can use it. Then we use it
as fair use and claim to disregard the Wikipedia-only license, knowing
full well that he won't actually sue us for infringement since he
already said we can use it.

Less-practical but more in-the-spirit-of-it answer: Encourage him to
release it under GFDL with the knowledge that nobody who really wants
to make any money off of content is going to to be happy licensing
their entire work under the GFDL and attaching all of its license
agreements.

Completely-impractical but completely-in-the-spirit-of-it answer:
Encourge him to release it freely and not care about how his content
is controlled, because information wants to be free, etc.

As my only slightly sardonic answers might give rise, I don't really
think there's a solution here which is both practical (for him) and in
the spirit of Wikipedia. I don't blame him for not wanting to release
it under a free license. There are some ways to secure his interests
and still take advantage of some of our policy loopholes, but they're
not really in the spirit of the wiki IMO.

FF