[WikiEN-l] Story about Wikipedia response to subtle vandalism

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon Oct 30 10:18:10 UTC 2006

So the Havalais article as posted started off like this:

"Some have suggested that the very common practice of beginning a communication theory class with an attempt to define communication and theory is a flawed pedagogy. Nonetheless, it is difficult to begin a study of the theories of communication without first having some grasp, however temporary and tenuous, of what sorts of phenomena "count" as communication, and what kinds of ideas about those phenomena constitute "theory" or, more specifically, good theory."

(From http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Theories_of_communication&oldid=5449504)

As I rather suspected, far from encyclopedic style. In fact the epitome of pompous academic wind-up (as in 'listen to 15 minutes of this and then I might tell you something').

Charles