[WikiEN-l] Reverting without reading - another example

Mark Wagner carnildo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 18:03:12 UTC 2006

On 10/26/06, Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
> I don't expect them to "know all our rules and policies", but I *do*
> expect them to read the text "edit summary" (conveniently placed right
> next to the "save" button) and deduce that that's where they should
> place a summary of their edit.

Perhaps you should read up on human perception.  There have been
numerous studies showing that people just don't see things that aren't
part of the task at hand, no matter how obvious they are.

The only parts of the user interface that the average new editor sees
are the big edit field and the "save page" button.  All the rest of it
is quite literally invisible, and there is nothing we can do to change
that: any text we add will be similarly invisible.

--
Mark
[[User:Carnildo]]