[WikiEN-l] Comic book articles and fancruft (was: Pattern copyvios involving...)

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sun Oct 22 10:55:02 UTC 2006

Phil Sandifer wrote

> The problem is... well, let's pull up a solid midlist Marvel
> character - Speedball. 1603 word article. Only 500 words of that
> pertain to the real world instead of the fictional world of the
> comics. That's the problem. Fancruft is in many ways a poor choice of
> terms for this.

Fair point. I think what Phil is saying is like this: people tend to write without 'breaking the fourth wall', in a voice that suspends the disbelief. But this is surely a larger issue, anyway. Just take a Greek myth. You can read it in an integrated account; or sourced to the texts. Robert Graves's notorious 'Greek Myths' basically gives you the choice. I guess most people read the fluent versions, not the notes (which ironically are full of the most flagrant OR, as is well known ...).

Charles