[WikiEN-l] Include both, with sources?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Oct 21 19:55:49 UTC 2006

Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:

>On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 11:07:40 -0400, SPUI <drspui at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Because normally we don't report on errors on maps. We don't say "FDOT
>>turned over part of SR 2 to Nassau County in the 1980s, but some maps
>>still show it as a state road."
>>

>Why not, if it's verifiable?  Surely that is an interesting and useful
>piece of information?

For once I agree with you about something. :-)

I suppose that in some ways this is related to NPOV issues, but where
there is no real dispute.  This kind of innocent error tends to be
perpetrated until they are widely pointed out, and that needs to be done
for as long as the error keeps recurring.  In another area the term
"brontosaurus" was deprecated 95 years after it was introduced, but we
can't avoid the fact that this creature is still ubiquitous in
children's literature.  Much of this is written by people with no
understanding of paleontology.  We'll probably need to keep pointing out
this error much longer than the one about the Nassau County roads.

Ec