[WikiEN-l] School of Hard Knocks, or, what I learnt from my RfA

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 00:37:45 UTC 2006

On 10/21/06, Earle Martin <wikipedia at downlode.org> wrote:
>1) ZOMG how dare you not answer the questions??!!1!!1

As an admin you need to be able to provide a reason to do anything. A
unwillingness to communicate is a bad sign

> 2) One has to have "a specific reason" for wanting admin tools. Being
> generally concerned for the good of the project is not enough to
> satisfy the razor minds of the RfA voters.

Sure we have no shortage of paper admins (you know that 100 admin
actions per month will put you in the top 3rd of active admins?)

> 3) Editcountitis is actually a mindset of self-improvement, not a
> pointless obsession. You must have as many edits as is humanly
> possible before even considering being an admin. ("Storkk" lays it out
> straight: "390 mainspace edits isn't really evidence of gnoming. I am
> really looking for something like 3000 - 4000.")

There are gnoming activities where it is trivial to rack up thousands of edits.

> 6) Life as an admin is a hellish, Kafka-esque nightmare of continuous
> inquisition from a swollen, all-powerful bureaucracy. ("[W]hat you
> experience here is only a taste of what one will face as an admin",
> comments "Physicq210".)

Sure if you want to be at all active.

> 7) It is somehow useful for people to cast a "neutral vote", rather
> than just leaving a comment, which is of equivalent logical value.

that isn't quite the case.

> 8) Despite there being over a thousand administrators already, one bad
> egg is enough to cause havoc, disaster, dogs and cats living together,
> and mass hysteria. The solution to this is obviously to keep the
> number of administrators as small as possible, thus maintaining the
> status quo and preventing more potential bad people from becoming
> admins.

I sleep better at night knowing that a lagre number of admins make the
same mistake that you do.

In any case people remember the userbox wars. A couple of foolish
admins can do a lot of damage.

> 9) Even stating "I promise not to go batshit" and signing it with your
> real name is not enough to sway the high muck-a-mucks. Consider taking
> classes in advanced boot-licking before responding to comments.
> ("[C]andidate is... plainly in that class of admin who would
> immediately set out causing grief and bloodshed.", declares "Splash".)

Yeah they remeber cyde's promises as well.

--
geni