[WikiEN-l] Before reverting blanking, please read the text

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 00:32:32 UTC 2006

On 10/19/06, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:

> I'm also wondering why it isn't "ABSOLUTELY INEXCUSABLE" for the human
> who originally blanked the article to be acting in a manner that's no
> more intelligent than a bot as well. We grant newbies a lot of slack,
> and we grant the aggrieved victims of libel even more slack, but if the
> inexcusability of this is really absolute then in this case the original
> blanker is just as much in the wrong.

Joe random person off the street is not going to be familiar with
Wikipedia's process and procedures in any significant way.  Even if they
happen across an article and click on "edit" for some legitimate reason such
as libel.

Any experienced editor, particularly admins, should be held to the higher
standard of knowing what our policies are, and what proper notifications and
efforts are.

If anything, perhaps the unregistered account editing should be made a bit
more blatantly hand-holding to encourage people who are newbies to do the
right thing.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com