[WikiEN-l] Editors, who are not editors

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 17:48:43 UTC 2006

On 10/19/06, Peter Ansell <ansell.peter at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been increasingly worried about one editors contribution
> history lately. The vast majority (possibly over 90%) of their last
> 500 edits have been in Wikipedia/Wikipedia talk space. It is my
> understanding that Wikipedia: space is for editors to use to organise
> the development of articles.
>
> My question is how does an editor--who spends all their time in
> Wikipedia space--know what they are trying to achieve?

I think that you need to be careful about that; I've seen quite a number of
experienced editors and administrators fall into that trap for periods of
time.  I myself am currently extricating myself from an hole I fell in for a
couple of months, doing much more "administrative stuff" in wikispace and
talk than any real article edits.  Fortunately I realized what I was doing,
and simultaneously realized there were several whole classes of engineering
materials articles which didn't exist yet, so I've started working on
those...

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com