[WikiEN-l] good example of overuse of {{fact}}

Steve Block steve.block at myrealbox.com
Fri Oct 20 12:17:24 UTC 2006

Steve Block wrote:
> Anthony wrote:

>> What should we do with that?  {{fact}} tag it?  Remove it?  Leave it as is?
>> Personally I'd say it should be removed.  I just removed, without logging
>> in, the whole paragraph, which was nothing more than speculation regarding
>> this "perception".  Let's see what happens.

> Don't fancy putting it back in, do you?

Never mind, I've done it, now let's see what happens.  I have to wonder
about WP:POINT here, the edit war that started could so easily have been
avoided by searching google for the term GNU viral.  Still, the
encyclopedia got improved and no-one got hurt.  I'm hoping we're all
learning the lesson here that we might not be as bad as we actually
think we are for reliability, but that the lack of sourcing and how we
source and represent those sources in the articles is becoming an issue.

Steve block