[WikiEN-l] Before reverting blanking, please read the text

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Thu Oct 19 20:59:31 UTC 2006

> On 10/19/06, Rob <gamaliel8 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The idea that one should read and screen an entire article that is
> > blanked is absurd.  Tt is entirely probable that even if you rewrote
> > the article from scratch you might not address whatever supposed
> > problem the vandal had with the article.  We should keep an eye out
> > for problems as best we can but we aren't mindreaders and we can't
> > assume every vandal is an angry celebrity.
>
> In this case the article consisted of nothing more than naming the
> person and where she works and a unsourced rumor about her having an
> abortion.

I'm disappointed to have read this entire thread before getting this bit of
information.

I'd buy the argument that you read some of a long blanked page and
> missed the vandalism... (although you should also look at the recent
> history). But the argument that it's okay for a human to revert
> without reading at all? ... unacceptable.

Absolutely.  If you're going to revert a blanking, you should be damn sure
that at least *some* part of the original text was in fact accurate.

Anthony