[WikiEN-l] Before reverting blanking, please read the text

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 06:15:39 UTC 2006

On 10/19/06, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:
[snip]
> Some of the reactions in this thread to this mistake are way over the
> top, IMO, we should not be holding our editors to unreasonably strict
> standards of perfection. This was an "oops, should have read that more
> carefully" situation, not a "what kind of brainless moron would do such
> a thing!?" situation.

The first post in the thread made it clear that its intent was not to
single out that particular edit, but rather criticize a class of
behaviors.

Yes, it's possible that the person in this case read the text and
missed it.  Although its unlikely, since the text itself made it clear
that it was an unsourced/unsubstianted rumor.

I'm not, nor was uninvited primarily complaining about random
mistakes, rather we were complaining about a systematic failure.

As such there is no attempt being made to hold our editors to any real
standard, beyond simply taking the most minimal steps necessary to
ensure that they will not fail to do the right thing every single time
something in the form of a compound vandalism occurs.

So you'll have to pardon me for my "over the top" reply when I see
people suggesting that simply reading the screen is too difficult for
our editors.