[WikiEN-l] Pattern copyvios involving comic book characters

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 20 04:05:00 UTC 2006

Phil Sandifer wrote:
> Our articles on fictional characters are cesspools of fancruft,
> original research, and outright idiocy. This should be a clear call
> to the fact that we do not have sufficient control over these
> articles.

In this incident we had two copyvio articles and a bunch of unattributed
images. It's not at all clear how you're progressing from that to the
conclusion that all of Wikipedia's fictional character articles are so
out-of-control that they need to be "nuked."

> We need to demonstrate our lack of tolerance with a zeal
> previously known only to BLP.

Wikimedia Foundation could get sued for having "fancruft" in articles
about fictional characters? Or having fancruft could somehow ruin the
lives of fictional characters? Those are the reasons for BLP but I don't
see any similar level of importance for fictional character articles.

Sorry, this is still a ludicrous overreaction as far as I can tell.