[WikiEN-l] Before reverting blanking, please read the text

Mark Wagner carnildo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 17:50:33 UTC 2006

On 10/19/06, Guy Chapman aka JzG <guy.chapman at spamcop.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 7:27:58 -0400, Sydney aka FloNight
> <poore5 at adelphia.net> wrote:
>
> >For an experienced user to simply revert the blanking without any
> >attempt to communicate with the user is more problematic to my mind
> >than the blanking.
>
> Not really.  Page blanking is counted as simple vandalism, suitable
> for use of rollback.  We really mustn't lose sight of the fact that
> this is the only instance thus far presented where page blanking
> without summaries by a new account with no other edits was anything
> other than vandalism.

It may be the only case presented here, but in the short time I've
been involved in OTRS, I've seen several cases where someone is
reporting that they blanked a defamatory article about themselves,
only to have it back the next time they checked.

> Is it really so hard for a new user to find out
> how to correct a problem, contact the office, attract attention or in
> some other way fix the issue?  It may be that it is.

Yes, it apparently is.  Usually, by the time it gets to OTRS, they're
in a mood where it sounds like their next step will be to call their
lawyer.

--
Mark
[[User:Carnildo]]