[WikiEN-l] good example of overuse of {{fact}}

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Tue Oct 17 23:13:12 UTC 2006

On 10/16/06, Phil Sandifer <Snowspinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 16, 2006, at 6:12 PM, jayjg wrote:
> >
> > People keep claiming that it's hard to source "obvious facts";
> > however, in practice that's almost never the case. Obvious facts are
> > generally extremely easy to source.
>
> A better and more important issue is that it's a waste of time to
> source obvious facts.

It's also a waste of time to state obvious facts in an encyclopedia article.

For less than "obvious" facts I do think that a source should be *somewhere*
in the references.

I also don't think people should be removing facts that they know to be
true, just because they are unsourced.

Further, and not everyone agrees with me on this, someone should do a quick
check for a source before removing (or {{fact}} tagging) something which
isn't at least probably false (or unprovable and therefore POV).

Anthony