[WikiEN-l] [[Kristian Menchaca]] - link to video

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed Oct 18 00:20:03 UTC 2006

On 10/17/06, Cheney Shill <halliburton_shill at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I did that basic fact checking earlier and provided a link
> to the page that has thumbnails and the video:
> http://www.ogrish.com/archives/us_soldiers_kidnapped_in_iraq_shown_dead_in_video_Jul_10_2006.html

There's a very big difference between Ogrish and The Memory Hole.
Ogrish is designed to shock. It includes official blog postings signed
with "Murder & Mayhem", and unofficial commentary in  the forum that
makes it very clear that for most people using the site, their
motivation comes from a fascination with death and gore. I would also
not be surprised that, given this general motive, the standards of
verification are rather low -- but I cannot say either way.

We are generally careful to distinguish between articles and external
links when it comes to the neutral point of view. However, even links
have never been entirely exempt from the policy. Certainly, when the
purpose of the link is to purely _document_ an article, a more neutral
source than one like Ogrish.com should be found -- especially when
dealing with a subject that is so obviously emotional.

Reliability is not the only issue here. Good editorial judgment also is.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.