[WikiEN-l] good example of overuse of {{fact}}

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Oct 16 18:56:30 UTC 2006

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>the wub wrote:
>

>>Addressing the example - this IS a (possibly the most) widely propagated
>>example of political correctness gone mad in the UK. Just google for
>>"blackboard political correctness". However I can't for the life of me find
>>the original story that led to this (if there was one in the first place)
>>

>Precisely.  It has all the flavor of an urban legend.  I found many many
>messageboard posts which claimed it as fact, but no one seems to have a
>source.  Perhaps it is true, after all, but the initial evidence seems
>to suggest otherwise.

This opens up the question of whether we need "a source" or "an original
source".  If we don't accept original research, we shouldn't be
demanding it.  Tracking these possible urban legends to their ultimate
beginnings should not be required.  Naturally, some source would be
necessary, the more reliable the better, and messageboards are
questionable at best.  If another reputable source questions the claim
that too should be mentioned in the interests of NPOV.

"Flavor" is not evidence; it is nothing more than strong instinctual
suspicion.

Ec